CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

NOT a tradition

I have seen several people who's blogs I stalk, post pictures of their very cute gingerbread houses that their families have done. This has never been a tradition in my family, and I may have found out why today. Growing up with parents who are both artists, I have found a vast number of people who assume that talent was passed on to all their children. Sadly it was not, at least not to me. I am going to print out these photos and carry them in my wallet as prof.

Now this was a kit, and I'm pretty sure that is supposed to make it easier. Now granted the decorating was done by a 3 and 4 yr old, but the icing was done by an adult (you know who you are) and I'm a little worried.


Notice the trees that had to be used as braces to keep the roof from sliding off.

Now the kids had a lot of fun, which was the point, and the end result made it so that we didn't feel bad at all about eating the house. But I look at these pictures and it reminds me of going to the Christmas Chorus concerts when I was a kid. The concert is held in the chapel at the state mental hospital and when I was a kid there was a tree that had decorations made by the patients. I just remember always seeing candy cane reindeer that had 3 antlers and 5 eyes, things like that. Not that I'm saying my family is mentally handicapped, (although that is debatable), but I think we need some refining on our gingerbread house skills.

Here is an example of what gingerbread kits can actually look like. (I stole your picture Wade, hope you don't mind, it was for a good cause)

8 comments:

Britta said...

Oh that made me laugh! Does the icing decorator's name rhyme with biken?

Sue said...

Come on now...just call it your Gingerbread house with a Tim Burton flair! This had me laughing. Awesome.

Maiken said...

I have no defense for my icing decoration flop. I just kept going to appease the little ones. I was too out of it to care that I wasn't improving. Lucia and Will had fund, and Kari and I laughed a lot.

Wade The Rascal said...

Kari, I LOVE your blog stories. Such a way with words. Hahaha. The icing was a little less than perfectly neat. But it's the whole experience of it that matters. By the way, I LOVED your kits. Ours didn't come with those big trees for the side yard. Where did you get those? And, it's fine that you stole my picture. I'll take that as a compliment.

Kari said...

It was from Costco Wade, and yes you should interrupt the fact that I stole your picture as a compliment.

Maybe next time we need to use the small decorating tip instead of just squeezing it from the bag. I will say I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard. And I'm pretty sure I even heard some laughing snorts. Probably was that "biken" girl.

Tom said...

The icing looks like it may be melting off the house. Was it hot in the kitchen? Does that Biken girl have suffer from tremors?

Either way, I think they look great! I'm sorry we missed it.

Maiken said...

I should have used the provided icing bag and tip. I also should have iced the windows with the pieces laying flat rather than vertical as the kids were decorating over and under me. I believe I'd have to practice to be as detailed oriented as the kit showed, but then I'd have to have patience and time.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for coming to my blog and commenting! I wish more people would.

I love your houses. You sound like me. I came from a very crafty family, yet that is where I wonder if I was adopted as I really struggle in that department.

I am sure the kids will love the memories for a very long time.