CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Final Party

(disclaimer - I in no way mean for this to come across as disrespectful, so hopefully it doesn't)

A guy in my department at work died this weekend from a heart attack. (for those who used to work with me, it was Bob Green from the Eldred Center) I didn't really know Bob, never worked with him directly, but it's obviously still sad when someone dies, especially unexpectedly. (sidenote - I'm in charge of doing things like sending out flowers during these times, and when I got his address I realized that he lived a block away from me. We worked in the same department for 8 years and never knew that. I guess I need to get to know my neighborhood a little better, or my co-workers.)

So just by coincidence it turns out that his funeral is going to be the same time as our work Halloween Party. We discussed the different possibilities, including canceling the party, but decided to move the party back a couple hours so that those who were going to the funeral still could, but we would also still have the party.

This just got me thinking, and I now kind of hope that when I die, hopefully not anytime soon, that it is near Halloween. Again, I don't mean for this to be disrespectful, but I think it would be totally awesome if everyone came to my funeral dressed in costumes. Maybe that is too morbid, but if I was able to see what was going on, I would love it. I just love dressing up for Halloween and think it would be good to have a fun memory associated with my passing. So if anyone that reads this is around when I die, and it is around the end of October, I expect you to show up in a costume. Just so you know, I also hopes it rains that day. I'm sorry that you will have to be standing at my grave in the rain, but I hope it's a huge rain storm with lots of thunder and lighting. If this happens, just know that I ended up in a pretty awesome place, and I have some awesome control over things. You never know.

7 comments:

Maiken said...

I think that's a great personal way to share yourself with loved ones on a trying day. I don't know if I'll be there, but if so I am going all out on a costume. :)

Wade The Rascal said...

Oh I'll be there! Not so much with bells on. But probably in drag. And, hopefully you'll live til we're like 85, so people will say, "Yeah, we went to Kari's funeral. And did you know she was friends with an 85 year old drag queen?"

Kari said...

I think I might need to see a preview Wade. Awesome! I don't think you are supposed to look forward to your funeral :)

Andrea said...

Hahaha! You are great Kari - so funny! While I was reading this post, I kept waiting to hear you say they just decided to combine Bob's funeral WITH the Halloween Party. You know I think an open casket could really add a lot.

Shellianne said...

lol.

Sue said...

Love the costume idea. If I am at your funeral, I will be sad...of course, but I will also smile a little when people are getting poured on in a rainstorm. :)

Britta said...

My band teacher told me a story about one of her friends that died - he asked for a piece of popcorn to be placed on his nose during the viewing so that people would laugh. They did it. I've never forgotten that story - if there's one time you should get your way, it's at your funeral!