CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quirks

Tagged by Kristen, 6 of my many quirks

1. I have an addiction to my hair. It goes back to my childhood and smelling my hair whenever I sucked my finger. The finger sucking went away (although very late) but the hair smelling thing stuck. I think I actually have a release of endorphins when I smell my hair. I think I should be studied. I usually find myself doing it when I am stressed or bored. I catch myself doing it at work all the time. It used to embarrass me, but now I figure they are used to it. Although my boss still asks if I just changed my shampoo whenever he catches me doing it. When Will was born it was one of the first things that I noticed as a trait of his, he loved playing with my hair. Now he loves twirling his own, till he got it chopped last week. Smelling Will's hair has the same effect as smelling my own.

2. I can't handle hearing people chew/swallow. And not just loud annoying eating, just regular eating. I feel bad because I know it's not something people can control, but it is just my sound that is like fingernails on the blackboard. I prefer to eat around people that are talking or who have the tv on. Maybe one reason I like restaurants so much. Luckily it doesn't take much noise for me to not focus on it.

3. Like Kristen, I don't like for there to be time left on the microwave. Maybe it's because we don't have a clock in the kitchen, so I just want to always be able to see what time it is.

4. I get way too much comfort from food. Maybe that's not a quirk but a deep, dark secret. I fear that I will never be a weight I'm comfortable with because of this. Along with this, I cannot understand people who don't like chocolate. I feel as though I will never be able to fully connect with someone like that. I cannot explain what chocolate does for me, other than it is definitely a drug for me. I can be reasonable about it unless it is that time of month. If it is, don't mess with my chocolate. Tears will follow. (my husband has learned this the hard way)

5. I constantly have conversations going on in my head. A lot of times they are in the form of an interview. Me explaining something to someone else, reliving an experience. If I am going to have or have had an uncomfortable conversation with someone, I will run it through my mind over and over again. What I want to say, what I wish I had said, what I wish I hadn't said.

6. I have to have a visual reminder of things I need to do. This has become MUCH worse since having a child, and it seems there are a lot of other moms who say the same thing. I was never a grocery lister. Now if it is not on my list, I will not remember to get it. I can walk into the store thinking of something I need to add to my list, repeat it over and over again to try and remember, plan out the path in the store I will need to take to get it, and still somehow leave the store without it. At work this means that my computer screen/desk are literaly covered in post-it notes. This also leads to me leaving piles of things all over my desk. My boss is not a fan, but if I put something away, I forget about it. Out of site, out of mind. Yes my desk is always a mess, but I have yet to find any system where I remember to do things unless it is staring me in the face. I have also become someone who writes things on my hand. I just started doing this a few years ago, but I seriously feel like I have a brain tumor sometimes.

I tag anyone else who wants to share

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I didn't know any of those, except the microwave thing. Not even the hair one. I was trying to picture it, but couldn't. I never remember you doing that. Fun stuff...thanks for playing.

Sue said...

Your hair thing is cute. I always remember you sitting in the horrid orange Elvis room smelling your hair and trimming it with scissors and a paper cup.

Andrea said...

Hahaha! I can picture you smelling your hair right now. I think it's funny - in a cute way of course. I can totally relate to having conversations in your head. I do this ALL the time. Anytime I need to make a phone call I spend a couple minutes before-hand rehearsing what I'm going to say. I can't go to the grocery store without a list, but for a different reason. I'll end up buying everything in front of me!

Shellianne said...

You know, I think that every person has some weird habit or comfort that no one else can ever understand. I'm just too self-conscience to admit to mine.

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY do the microwave thing, can't understand people who at least GET that chocolate is good...they don't have to be obsessed with it like some of us, but understand it and move on...and the conversations in your head?...is that YOU in MY head?! I do the same thing, so maybe now I'll just think that it's Kari that I'm talking to and not feel like I'm talking to myself. Ahh. That's better.
Nice talking to you!